Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cornbread Muffins

I have a left over buttermilk from the red velvet cake I experimented the other day. Unfortunately, you can't store buttermilk for a long time as it stales easily.  So I googled and searched for recipe that calls for buttermilk.  Mostly what came up were pancakes or biscuits.... then there was cornbread.  Aha! I've always wanted to try out making some cornbread. Perfect, right?!


Here's what you need:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs 
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly

Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter muffin pans or 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan.






Whisk first 6 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. 







Whisk buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter in another medium bowl to blend. 



Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir just until incorporated; do not overmix. 




Transfer batter to prepared pan.
  




 





Bake until bread is golden on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 22 minutes.


Serve warm or at room temperatureFor storing, cool completely in pan on rack, cover with foil and store at room temperature. 


This is good and a perfect pair with chili.  But I was not too crazy about this recipe. I was looking for a more cake type recipe like the ones you can get from Famous Daves. This recipe could be the one some people out there is looking for but for me the hunt for my perfect cornbread muffin is still on. ;)


Recipe source: www.allrecipes.com

Buttermilk Cornbread on FoodistaButtermilk Cornbread

4 comments:

  1. I found you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this cornbread widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about how to make cornbread,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to add a little sugar to my cornmeal muffins.They are delish.
    I like your blog it is very interesting...thanks for sharing
    anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. great use of leftover products - these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cornbread and Chili is one of my all time FAVORITE winter meals. I'm ashamed to say that I've always used the box stuff, but this looks simple enough and delicious. Especially with butter. Everything tastes better with butter.

    ReplyDelete