Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Special Cake Requests


February 2011.  I was asked by my coworker to make a couple of cakes specialized for her daughter's second birthday and another cake for her friend to celebrate a year of sobriety. 

I had fun doing these cakes, as I always do in all, but of course every one posed a struggle at one point. For Elmo, I had a hard time with the royal icing I used for Elmo's fur.  I used meringue powder for the royal icing and red food color,  I find the taste yucky. :))  Elmo's head, arms and legs are out of rice crispy treats.

The gold coin cake was a white almond sour cream cake with vanilla buttercream.  It was my first try making that cake and was so nervous that they will not like it.  Then I had some trouble making it gold.  First I tried to paint the gold highlighter dust.  I almost used vodka to mix with the dust, good thing I remember that it was for a recovering alcoholic. haha! But eventually what worked out for me was just rubbing the dust dry on the cake using my clean fingers. :)



All in all, both cakes were a hit and my friend was pleased.... so I was happy!

3 comments:

  1. what gold did you use for the gold coin cake?? do you have a specific brand name? THANKS :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the gold highlighter dust.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!

    For the record, all the alcohol dries off completely so it wouldn't have been an issue 8).

    ReplyDelete