Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Perfect American Buttercream Icing?



Made some chocolate cupcakes with chocolate ganache and buttercream icing for our office food day a few days back. I think I have finally found the perfect buttercream icing for me. It tasted better than the "quick" buttercream I used to make and also I can adjust the consistency of the icing depending on how I need it.

What you need:
2 lbs. sifted powdered sugar
1/2 cup or 1 stick butter, softened
1-1/2 cups solid vegetable shortening (I use the butter flavor)
2 tbsp. clear vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/3 cup water for icing cake -OR- 1/4 cup for stiff consistency.


How to:
On medium speed for hand mixers or low speed for stand mixers, cream butter, shortening and extracts until creamy and smooth.
Gradually add powdered sugar and water.


Notes:
1. Do not overmix or mix on high speed.
2. For whiter icing, use butter without dye.
3. For stiffer icing, use 1/4 cup of water instead of 1/3 cup.
4. If you live where it is humid, you can add 1-2 tbsp. of meringue powder.
5. Let set for 15 minutes before smoothing the icing.
6. Icing can be refrigerated for 2 weeks in an airtight container. Or it can be left at room temperature for 2 to 3 days.


Decorated with some fondant accents.


Recipe source: Cake Central

No comments:

Post a Comment